Fresh fish lovers might frown over canned salmon but the latter can be really handy if you are cooking on a budget. While fresh salmon can scorch a deep hole in your pocket, canned salmon comes at a much more reasonable price. Yet it is full of flavors and is an effective way to incorporate shelf-stable protein in your meal. You can create culinary masterpieces out of a humble can of salmon but busy weeknights calls for a quick yet satisfying meals So save your gourmet salmon recipe ideas for the weekends and savor the goodness of salmon with these salmon burgers.
Cooking salmon patties gives you endless possibilities to experiment with flavors. Boost up its fiery quotient with a dash of chilies or add a hint of lavishness with exotic spices. But if you want to keep things simple, cook salmon patties with celery, parsley as well as onions and feel the difference it brings to the fish. The aromatic celery and herby freshness of parsley works wonders with the marine flavors of salmon. A dash of Dijon mustard cuts through the delicate flavors and makes it a tad more adventurous to the taste buds.
When teamed up with burger buns and equally soul-satisfying creamy dill sauce, these salmon patties make a hearty dinner which makes your palate and pocket happy, all at once!
For the salmon patties:
• 15 oz canned salmon, drained
• 1 ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 large egg, slightly beaten
• 1 celery stalk, finely diced
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
• 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
• ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• Salt to taste
For the sauce:
• ¼ cup no-fat plain yogurt
• ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced
• 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste